Friday, December 23, 2016

Tenses :1- Present Simple tense

Tenses
What is a tense ?
it is a grammatical category that helps locate a situation in time and it can be present , past or future .
There are 12 tenses in English :

  • Present Tense
  1. Simple 
  2. Continuous
  3. perfect
  4. perfect continuous
  • Past Tense
  1. Simple
  2. Continuous
  3. perfect
  4. perfect continuous
  • Future
  1. Simple
  2. Continuous
  3. perfect
  4. perfect continuous

____________________________________________________________________________
Present Tense
  1. The Present Simple Tense:
It encodes information about an aspect in the present time.

Form :
  • Declarative sentence :

Subject                       +   Verb                                         +  Object

(I, You, We, They )   → (base verb : Play , walk ...etc.) 
                                                                                          ⇘
                                                                                             +( Food , Tv.....etc)
(He, she , it )           →(Base verb + s/es .. walks , eats..)⇗
 
Examples :
  • I play Football.
  • I like coffee.
  • She learns French once a week.
  • The student enters the classroom and greets his teacher. 
 
  • Negative sentence :

Subject                    + (Don't-Doesn't)  + Verb             + Object

(I , you, they , we) +  Don't    +⇘
                                                       Base verb ( talk, make ..) + Object
(He , she , it )         + Doesn't +⇗

Examples :
  • They don't live in France anymore.
  • She doesn't like summer.
  • He doesn't speak Arabic.
  • Spring doesn't start in November.


  • Questions:

Do - Does    +     Subject    +   Verb    +   Object

Examples :
  • Does she go to school ?
  • Do you speak Japanese ?
  • Does he play tennis everyday ?
  • Do you like apples ?
➧Note:
  1. For positive sentences we don't normally use the Auxiliary verbs.
  2. we add (s) for singular nouns , and (es) when the verb end with (ss-sh-ch-x-z-o)
  3. we don't use an Auxiliary verb with Verb to be even for negative and questions.

Examples:

  • I am French.
  • They are not French.
  • Am I late?
  • Are we late ?
Usage:
  1. Facts , Generalization & universal truths.
  2. Habits & Routines.
  3. Permanent situations.
  4. Events certain to happen.
  5. Future arrangements.
  6. State verbs
  7. Narrations , Instructions or commentaries.

  • Facts , Generalization & universal truths :

Examples:

  • Water boils at 100 degrees c. (Universal truth)
  • It is a big house. (fact)
  • The Earth goes around the sun. (universal truth , fact)
  • The Dog doesn't fly.(fact) 

  • Habits & Routines

actions that happen frequently (tendencies, habits and routines)

Examples:

  • I leave for university 7 am every morning. (Routine)
  • My parents watch the TV in the evening.(Habit & routine)
  • she meets her friends every weekend. (habit)

  • Permanent situations:

situations that last a relatively long time

Examples:

  • I live in China.
  • She works as a teacher.

  • Events certain to happen:

Events that are certain to happen in the future.

Examples:


  • School starts on Sep. 10.
  • My brother turns 21 next week.
  • winter starts on Dec. 21.

  • State verbs:

Examples:

  • I like singing.
  • I know this girl.
  • he likes playing  the guitar.

  • Future arrangements:

Examples:

  • the plane takes off at 4 pm.
  • the train leaves at the noon.
  • when does the meeting start?

  • Narrations , instructions or commentaries:
Like telling a story ,  book instructions , sports commentaries....etc.


Note:

those adverbs of frequency will always be used with the present simple tense:

(Always , Frequently , often ,usually, seldom, rarely , nowadays , never, every ,sometimes, occasionally , from time to time , every now and then.)

 Examples:

  • I usually wake up around 7 am in the morning.
  • I go to work everyday.
  • I often meet my friends after work.
  • I go to the gym frequently.
  • I never eat late .




No comments:

Post a Comment